PT EN

 

FORA DO LUGAR - FESTIVAL INTERNACIONAL DE MÚSICAS ANTIGAS \ OUT OF PLACE - EARLY MUSIC(S) INTERNATIONAL FESTIVAL

IDANHA-A-NOVA \ UNESCO CREATIVE CITY OF MUSIC

 

lugaresforadolugar.png

LUGARES FORA DO LUGAR \PLACES OUT OF PLACE

IDANHA-A-VELHA

39°59’46.6”N 7°08’40.4”W

 

PT Idanha-a-Velha é uma pequena aldeia de ambiente pitoresco, pelo notável conjunto de ruínas que conserva, ocupa um lugar de realce no contexto das estações arqueológicas do país. Ergue-se no espaço onde outrora existiu uma cidade de fundação romana (séc.I a.C.), inserida no território da Civitas Igaeditanorum, tendo sido, mais tarde, município romano. Uma inscrição datada do ano 16 a.C., onde consta que Quintus Tallius, cidadão da Emérita Augusta (Mérida) “deu um relógio aos Igeditanos”, testemunha a existência no núcleo urbano nesse momento cronológico. Em 105, a povoação aparece referida numa inscrição da monumental ponte de Alcântara – importante obra de engenharia romana – como um dos municípios que contribuíram para a sua construção. Diversos vestígios evidenciam, ainda hoje, essa permanência civilizacional: entre outros, o podium de um templo no qual assenta a Torre dos Templários; a Porta Norte e respectiva muralha; um conjunto excepcional de lápides funerárias e variado espólio disperso. A povoação conheceu no período visigótico, sob o nome da Egitânea, momentos áureos de desenvolvimento, tendo sido sede de diocese desde 599 e centro de cunhagem de moeda em ouro (trientes). São testemunhos materiais desse período, os Baptistérios e ruínas anexas do “Palácio dos Bispos” e a designada Igreja de Santa Maria, esta com profundas alterações arquitectónicas posteriores. Os Árabes ocuparam a cidade até à sua tomada por D. Afonso III, Rei de Leão, durante a reconquista, fazia já parte integrante do condado Portucalense aquando da fundação de Portugal. Mais tarde D. Afonso Henriques entregou-a aos Templários. Em 1229 D. Sancho II deu-lhe foral. D. Dinis incluiu-a na ordem de Cristo – 1319 –, seguindo-se outras tentativas de repovoamento. D. Manuel I, em 1510, concede-lhe novo foral de que o Pelourinho é testemunho. Em 1762 figurava como vila, na comarca de Castelo Branco; em 1811, ficava anexa a Idanha-a-Nova; em 1821 tornava-se sede de um pequeno concelho, extinto em 1836. Intencionalmente, e ao longo dos séculos, pretendeu- se reorganizar todo o espaço urbano, revitalizando-o no domínio social, económico, político e cultural. Porém o seu percurso histórico, de desertificação, estava traçado. Hoje, Idanha-a-Velha, (Monumento Nacional) surge renovada. Uma Aldeia Histórica criteriosamente adaptada para os que aqui residem e para os que a visitam.

EN Idanha-a-Velha is a small  picturesque village, consisting of a remarkable group of ruins, which holds a position of high standing among the national archaeological works. It stands on a place where formerly was a Roman City (1st century B.C.), which was inserted in “Civitas Igaeditanorum”, having become a Roman Municipality later on. An inscription dating from 16 B.C., where we can read that “Quintus Lallius”, a citizen from “Emerita Augusta” (Mérida) “has willingly given a sun-dial to Igeditanos” witnesses the existence of an urban site on those by gone days. In 105, in an inscription on Alcântara Bridge (a very important Roman engineering work) the village is referred to as one of the most important Municipalities that contributed to the Bridge construction. Nowadays there are still a lot of evidences showing that civilization permanence: the “podium” of the temple on which the Templar’s Tower stands; the Northern Gate and its wall; one exceptional group of tomb stones and various scattered remains. In the Visigoth Era, under the name of “Egitânea”, the village witnessed golden developing times, having been a diocese seat since 599 and a gold coining Bishop’s Palace and the See are material witnesses of those golden days. The Arabs got hold of the city until King Afonso III from Leão conquered it, during the Christian fights but it was already an integrating part of Condado Portucalense at the time of Portugal foundation. Later one, King Afonso Henriques delivered it to the Templar monks. In 1229, King Sancho II chartered it. King Dinis included it in “Ordem de Cristo” (1319). Along the times, other peopling attempts followed. In 1510, King Manuel I chartered it again, being the Pillory a witness of this fact. In 1762, it was know as a small town in Castelo Branco jurisdiction; in 1811, it becomes attached to Idanha-a Nova; in 1821 it becomes the seat of a small municipality, still existing in 1936. Intentionally, and along the centuries, people tried to reorganize the urban space, revitalizing it in social, economic, political and cultural fields. However, its historical desertification course was drawn. Nowadays, Idanha-a-Velha (considered a National Monument) emerges quite renewed. An historical village wisely adapted to those who live here and to those who visit it.

 

lugaresforadolugar.png

LUGARES FORA DO LUGAR \PLACES OUT OF PLACE

MONSANTO

40°02’06.6”N 7°07’09.7”W

 

PT Monsanto situa-se a nordeste das terras de Idanha, aninhada na encosta de uma elevação escarpada – o cabeço de Monsanto (Mons Sanctus) – que irrompe abruptamente na campina e que, no seu ponto mais elevado, atinge 758 metros. Pelas várias vertentes da encosta e no sopé do monte, existem lugarejos dispersos, atestando a deslocação populacional em direcção à planície. Trata-se de um local muito antigo, onde se regista a presença humana desde o paleolítico. Vestígios arqueológicos dão conta de um castro lusitano e da ocupação romana no denominado campo de S. Lourenço, no sopé do monte. Vestígios da permanência visigótica e árabe foram também encontrados. D. Afonso Henriques conquista Monsanto aos mouros e em 1165 faz a sua doação à ordem dos templários, que sob as ordens de D. Gualdim Pais, mandou edificar o castelo. O primeiro Foral foi concedido por este rei em 1174, sucessivamente confirmado por D. Sancho I (1190) e D. Afonso II (1217). A D. Sancho I se deve também a repovoação e reedificação da fortaleza, desmantelada nas lutas contra Leão, novamente reparadas um século depois, pelos Templários. D. Dinis deu-lhe carta de Feira em 1308, a realizar junto da ermida de S. Pedro de Vir-a-Corça. El-rei D. Manuel I outorgou-lhe Foral Novo (1510) e deu-lhe a categoria de vila. Em meados do séc. XVII, D. Luís de Haro, ministro de Filipe IV, tenta o cerco de Monsanto, sem sucesso. Mais tarde, no início do século XVIII, o Duque de Berwick cerca também Monsanto, mas o exército português, comandado pelo Marquês de minas, derrotou o invasor nos contrafortes da escarpada elevação. Em 1758, Monsanto era sede de concelho, privilégio que manteve até 1853. No séc. XIX, o imponente Castelo medieval de Monsanto foi parcialmente destruído pela explosão acidental do paiol de munições. Convida-se para uma visita ao que resta do poderoso Castelo na escarpada encosta onde se pode observar a alcáçova, a cintura de muralhas e torres de vigia, bem como as belíssimas ruínas da Capela de S. Miguel do séc. XII, e a Capela de Santa Maria do Castelo. A gloriosa resistência aos invasores (romanos ou árabes – não se sabe bem) comemora-se na festa de Santa Cruz, deitando-se das muralhas do castelo simbólicos cântaros com flores, levando as mulheres ao cimo das torres as tradicionais bonecas de trapos – as marafonas. A Capela de S. Pedro de Vir-á-Corça ou Ver-a-Corça., imóvel de Interesse Público, situada na base do monte nos arredores da povoação, entre os lugares de Eugénia e Carroqueiro, é um templo românico construído em granito, datando provavelmente do séc. XIII, em que se destaca uma rosácea. Em seu redor se realizava a feira autorizada por D. Dinis em 1308. Estação Arqueológica romana de São Lourenço - imóvel de Interesse Público, situada na Freguesia de Monsanto, corresponde presumivelmente a uma villa romana que integra um complexo termal. São também conhecidos quatro túmulos romanos em granito. Perto do local das ruínas, vê-se também um troço de pavimento.

EN Monsanto stands in the Northeast side of Idanha Lands, nestled in a steep hill slope - Monsanto hillock(“Moons Sanctus”) -, which abruptly rises out of prairie and reaches 758 meters on its highest point. There are several hamlets scattered along the several slopes and at the bottom of the hill, which shows the population movements towards the plain. It’s a very ancient place with evidence of human presence since the Palaeolithic Era. They found archaeological evidence of a Lusitanian fortress and of the  Roman occupation in. St. Laurence’s field, at the foot of the hill, as well as of Visigoth and Arabian occupation. King Afonso Henriques conquered Monsanto to the Moors and, in 1165, granted it to the Templar monks who had the castlebuilt under the orders of Gualdim Pais. King Afonso Henriques first chartered the village in 1174 and the king Sancho I(1190) and king Afonso III (1217) confirmed the charter. King Sancho I rebuilt and repopulated the fortress, which had been destroyed during the fights against the King of Leão. In 1308, King Dinis granted it a charter, which allowed a fair to take place near the chapel of “São Pedro de Vir-a-Corça”. King Manuel I granted it a New Charter in 1510, giving it the right to be a town. In the middle of the 17th century, Luis de Haro, Minister of Filipe IV, tried to siege Monsanto, but he had no success. Later on, in the beginnings of the 18th century, the Duke of Berwick also sieges Monsanto but the Portuguese Army, commanded by the Marquis of Minas, defeated the invader on the slopes of the hill. In 1758, Monsanto was a municipality, having kept this privilege until 1853. In the 19 th century, the imposing Castle of Monsanto was partly destroyed by the accidental explosion of the munitions storeroom. You are invited to visit what is left of the strong Castle on the hill slope, where you can still watch the “alcaçova”(fortress), the walls and a few sep towers, aswellas the beautiful ruins of St.Michael’s Chapel, from the 12th century, and the Chapel of“Santa Maria do Castelo”. The glorious resistance to Roman or Arabian invaders (people aren’t sure) is celebrated during the Feast of the holy Cross, when people throw pitchers with flowers out of the walls down the slope and woman take the traditional rag-dolls (the-“Marafonas”) to the tower tops. The Chapel of “São Pedro Vir-à-Corça”, a “Monument of Public Interest”, is sited at the foot of the hill, in the suburbs, between “Eugénia” and “Carroqueiro”. It’s a Roman Temple made of granite, probably dating from the 13th century, where you can admire a rose window. In 1308, KingDinis allowed a fair to be carried out around the temple. The archaeological station is housed in a “Building of Public Interest”. Sited in Monsanto administrative division, it was probably Roman “Villa” integrating a Spa. Near the ruins, they also found out four Roman tombs made of granite, as well as a part of paved floor.

 

lugaresforadolugar.png

LUGARES FORA DO LUGAR \PLACES OUT OF PLACE

SALVATERRA DO EXTREMO

39°52’57.4”N 6°54’51.8”W

 

PT Situada nos confins orientais do concelho de Idanha-a-Nova, na fronteira com Espanha,  Salvaterra do Extremo tem origens muito antigas.As origens da povoação remontam aos inícios do século XIII. Em 1229 recebeu foral de D. Sancho II. A sua primeira fortificação pode ter sido construída nessa altura, com patrocínio ou intervenção directa dos Templários. A assinatura do Tratado de Alcanices, em 1297, definiu a fronteira luso-castelhana e a coroa empenhou--se num programa de restauro e de novas fortificações para assegurar a fronteira negociada. Foi neste contexto que Salvaterra do Extremo assumiu importância estratégica local. Por iniciativa régia, foi construído um castelo, de invulgar traçado circular, bem defendido por torres e munido de forte torre de menagem. A vila cresceu extramuros, de costas voltadas para Castela, descendo pela encosta poente da elevação onde o castelo foi erigido. A actividade económica da região, onde outrora a mineração teve um papel importante (volfrâmio, chumbo, estanho e ouro) permanece marcada pela pecuária, a agricultura extensiva e a cinegética. Tal como Monfortinho,  Salvaterra do Extremo celebra a festa do Bodo em honra de N. Sra. da Consolação, na segunda-feira de Páscoa. É uma festa de abundância e alegria que se realiza a cada ano, renovando a promessa feita a N. Sra. em troca da protecção contra a praga de gafanhotos que, em tempos idos, ameaçou os campos da região. Após a missa e a procissão, centenas de locais e de visitantes, muito deles espanhóis, participam no Bodo onde o ensopado, o pão e o vinho são servidos á discrição. A freguesia tem um charme muito especial. As pessoas são hospitaleiras, sempre prontas a contar as histórias da terra, e as ruas têm muitos motivos de interesse: a casa dos sardões; o poço em forma de crescente, rematando uma rua; as igrejas;  a antiga câmara municipal e a torre sineira onde as cegonhas fazem ninho; os poços tradicionais em xisto e as inúmeras furdas circulares dos porcos são alguns exemplos. Decididamente a não perder é a paisagem , sobretudo junto ao desfiladeiro do rio Erges, onde a par da natureza, se encontram antigos moinhos de água, a imponente atalaia medieval e vários caminhos lajeados, a que muitos atribuem origem romana.

EN Salvaterra do Extremo lies next to the spanish border and is of ancient origin. It was a stronghold fortified since early times, and it was over these ruins that king D. Afonso Henriques ordered the Templars to built a castle. Because of its strategic importance, King D. Sancho granted it charter in 1229 and it remained a municipality until 1855, when it was annexed to Idanha-a-Nova. The only features testifying its former priviliges while a municipality are the pillory and the town hall. Almost nothing was left from the medieval castle or the seventeenth century fortification. The walls were mostly dismantled after the Peninsular Wars, leaving today only small and hidden sections between the houses and their yards. Regarding the economic activity, documentary evidence alludes to mining (tungsten, lead, tin and gold), but this has now given way mainly to grazing, extensive farming and hunting areas. Just like Monfortinho, Salvaterra do Extremo celebrates every year, on Easter Monday, the traditional Bodo festivities in honour of Our Lady of Consolation. It is a festivity of abundance and happiness, the result of an ancient vow: that Our Lady would protect the crops from a severe plague of grasshoppers. After celebrating mass and taking parti n the procession, hundreds of local people and visitors – many of them spanish – attend the Bodo, feasting on endless, free supply of traditional lamb stew, bread and wine. he whole parish hás a special charm. People are friendly and hospitable and every street has something to show: the Sardões house, an half-moon shaped dwell, the churches, the town hall and the bell tower where storks nest, the traditional dwellings  made of schist and the cylindrical pigsties. Absolutely not to miss the countryside around the river Erges creeks, with its water mills, the medieval watchtower and the allegedly roman cobbled paths.

 

lugaresforadolugar.png

LUGARES FORA DO LUGAR \PLACES OUT OF PLACE

LADOEIRO

39°50’02.0”N 7°15’41.4”W

 

PT Povoação detentora de alguns vestígios Romanos, até 1505 chamava-se Esporão. Foi rebatizada por Ladoeiro devido aos inúmeros charcos e lodeiros que abundavam na região. O repovoamento conhecido por Ladoeiro faz-se à volta do ano de 1541 (no Reinado D. João III), onde foi sede de concelho com Câmara e Justiça próprias e entrou em decadência, a partir do séc. XVII, devido aos ataques ferozes do exército durante a Guerra da Restauração, agudizado pelo facto de não possuir nem castelo nem muralhas. Actualmente, é das freguesias mais prósperas do concelho, caracterizada por um considerável dinamismo económico que se deve sobretudo à actividade agrícola, assente em amplas áreas de terreno irrigadas. Conhecida até há poucas décadas pelas suas plantações de tabaco e tomate, a agricultura local orientou-se recentemente para novas produções, muitas delas em modo biológico certificado, como o mirtilo, a melancia e o figo da índia. Ao percorrermos as ruas, são várias as habitações com portadas Manuelinas e outras de adobe com janelas caiadas. O cruzeiro, a Igreja Matriz e a Fonte Grande (com as armas de D. Sebastião de 1571) são locais de encontro para uma amena conversa ao cair do dia. Nas sextas-feiras de quaresma realiza-se a tradicional Procissão dos Homens, onde apenas estes podem participar. Algumas semanas após o Festival da Melancia, que atrai inúmeros visitantes de outros concelhos e da vizinha Espanha,  já em meados de Agosto, tem lugar a grande festa em honra de Santo Isidro e do Santíssimo Sacramento.

EN This parish holds some roman remains and it was knowned as Esporão until 1505. It was renamed Ladoeiro on account of the abundance of ponds and marshes in the area. It was re-populated around 1541, during the reign of king D. João III, when it became a municipality, with its own town hall and courthouse. It started to decline around the XVIIth century, due to ferocious attacks by the army during the restorarion wars . made worse because it had no castle to protect it. Today, is one of the most prosperous parishes of Idanha-a-Nova’s county, enjoying considerable economical dinamism due to its wide and well irrigated agricultural fields. Once known for the tobacco and tomato production, local agriculture has turned into new products into recent years, many of them biological certified, like blueberries, watermelons and prickly-pears. While strolling around its streets, we may come across houses with manueline doorways and some of them made of adobe (a traditional building technique consisting on sun dried bricks, moulded from earth, straw and water mixed together), with whitewashed window anddoor frames. The monumental Cross, the parish Church and the Great fountain ( dated 1571 and bearing king D. Sebastião coat of arms)  are the best places to meet your friends for a chat by the end of the afternoon. Every Friday during Lent takes place a traditional men-only procession ( Procissão dos Homens). The Great festivities in honour of St. Isidro and the Holy Sacrament take place in mid-August, a few weeks after the Watermelon Festival, an event that attracts countless visitors from the neighbouring
municipalities and from Spain. 

 

lugaresforadolugar.png

LUGARES FORA DO LUGAR \PLACES OUT OF PLACE

IDANHA-A-NOVA

39°55’37.2”N 7°14’38.1”

 

PT Hoje apenas são visíveis as fundações do castelo de Idanha-a-Nova, fundado em 1187 por Gualdim Pais, mestreda Ordem do Templo, antes da atribuição do foral à vila. Dominando a campina juntamente com o castelo de Monsanto, terá sido construído para defender a povoação de Idanha-a-Velha, então bem mais importante mas mais vulnerável. Tratava-se de um pequeno castelo, constituído essencialmente pelo paço dos alcaides, ao qual foi acrescentado, no século XV, uma segunda cerca que englobava a Igreja Matriz, deixando de fora a vila. A Capela da Misericórdia, edificada no século XVI, em pedra com aparelho rústico, é um templo de nave única com uma capela-mor em talha policromada do século XVIII. De acordo com a tradição, os dois altares laterais são provenientes do extinto convento de Santo António. Dedicada a Nossa Senhora da Conceição, a Igreja Matriz é de origem medieval, tendo pertencido à Ordem do Templo. Sabe-se, pelo desenho de Duarte d’Armas, que no século XVI se encontrava ainda dentro do castelo. Com uma fachada principal maneirista, mantém, no entanto, características renascentistas, com a sua estrutura em três naves, e abóbadas de nervuras ao gosto gótico na capela-mor. Pouco se sabe da história da torre sineira, ou do Relógio, presumindo-se que tenha sido construída com pedra proveniente do desmantelamento do castelo. A parte mais antiga do Solar dos Marqueses da Graciosa é a torre central, mandada construir em 1458 por Afonso Giraldes, fidalgo da casa real do rei D. Afonso V. Os dois corpos laterais e o balcão foram acrescentados no século XVII (1611) por Domingos Giraldes, descendente do fundador e capitão-mor da vila. A Casa dos Cunhas, grande casa de residência, construída no século XVI ou XVII, de planta longitudinal, possui três volumes de telhados de uma ou duas águas e distribuição irregular de portas e janelas. De notar, num dos volumes, um balcão com alpendre suportado por um arco de volta perfeita, que se supõe ser um vestígio da desaparecida capela de S. Pedro. A Casa dos Condes de Idanha-a--Nova também conhecida como Casa do Corso, é um elegante edifício do século XVIII, na linha do “estilo chão”, com um piso térreo destinado a pátio e arrecadações diversas, e um primeiro piso nobre, com janelas de sacada decoradas com motivos em forma de concha. Já a Casa Manzarra é herdeira do Convento de Santo António, antigo convento franciscano do século XVII convertido em solar nos inícios do século XX. Ao lado da antiga igreja conventual vê-se a antiga igreja barroca de S. Francisco de Assis , do século XVIII, ambas dessacralizadas e convertidas em armazéns agrícolas. Provavelmente pertencente ao antigo convento, a capela de Nossa Senhora das Dores, com fachada para o largo, é um pequeno templo barroco do século XVIII que permaneceu afecto ao culto católico. O Palacete das Palmeiras, datado de 1900, é um antigo solar construído para residência de uma das mais importantes famílias terratenentes de Idanha, num local que se situava então nos arrabaldes da vila. São de notar, à direita e trás do edifício principal, as antigas imponentes cavalariças, e o jardim, de finais dos anos 1930, com as suas espécies exóticas (como as palmeiras que acabaram por baptizá-lo), então novidade absoluta nestas paragens. No início da década de 1990 foi reconstruído e adaptado à actual função de Escola Superior de Gestão de Idanha-a-Nova. Construído em finais da década de 1950 na linha mais tradicionalista da arquitectura do Estado Novo, o edifício da Câmara Municipal foi desenhado por António Lino, autor do Cristo-Rei e de diversas obras da Exposição do Mundo Português de 1940 (nomeadamente o Espelho de Água), em Lisboa, e da colunata do Santuário de Fátima.  Veio substituiro antigo edifício camarário na zona histórica e, em conjunto com o Palacete das Palmeiras, define a praça central da zona nova de Idanha, contribuindo decisivamente para a afirmação do actual centro da vila. Nas proximidades, o Centro Cultural Raiano apresenta-se como uma das marcas mais impressionantes do desenvolvimento experimentado por Idanha-a-Nova nos últimos anos, espécie de castelo moderno concebido para promover a cultura e ultrapassar fronteiras.


EN Today only the foundations of castle of Idanha-a-Nova are visible. It was founded in 1187 by Gualdim Pais, Master of The Order of the Temple, prior to the granting of the town charter, and like the castle of Monsanto, would have been built to oversee the plains and defend the town (which in those days was much more important, though also more vulnerable, than it is today). It was a small castle, consisting basically of the mayor’s palace, to which a second surrounding wall was added in the 15th century. This enclosed the Parish Church, though the rest of the town was left outside. The Chapel of Misericord was built in the 16th century in rough-hewn stone. It has a single nave, and a main chapel in carved painted wood dating from the 18th century. In keeping with tradition, it also has two side altars, brought from the now extinct convent of St Anthony. The Parish Church, dedicated to Our Lady of the Conception is medieval in origin and belonged to the Order of the Temple. We know from the drawing by Duarte d’Armas that it was located inside the castle walls in the 16th century. With a mane façade in the Mannerist style, it nevertheless retains certain Renaissance features, such as the three-nave structure and the Gothic rib vaulting in the main chapel. Little is known about the bell tower or the clock, though it is presumed to have been built from the stone from the dismantled castle. As for the stately home of the Marquis of Graciosa, the oldest part of this is the central tower, commissioned in 1458 by Afonso Giraldes, a nobleman of the royal house of King Afonso V. The two side walls and the balcony were added in the 17th century (1611) by Domingos Giraldes, descendant of the founder, and governor of the town. The House of the Cunhas, for its part, is a residential property built in the 16th or 17th century on a longitudinal plan. It has three sets of single-or double-sloped roofs, and the doors and windows are irregularly laid out. Particularly noteworthy is a balcony whose roof is supported by a round arch, believed to be from the now vanished Chapel of St Peter. The House of the Counts of Idanha-a-Nova, also known as the Corsican’s House, is an elegant 18th century building in the “Chao style”. The ground floor contains a patio and storage areas, while the first floor houses the elegant living area, with oriel windows decorated with shell motifs. The 17th century Franciscan convent of St Anthony was converted into a stately home in the 20th century. Next to the convent church is the old Baroque church of St Francis of Assis dating from the 18th century. Both of these have now been deconsecrated and are used as agricultural storehouses. The Chapel of Our Lady of the Pains, which probably belonged to the former convent, is a small Baroque church from the 18th century, whose façade overlooks the square. This one is still used for Catholic worship. The Palm Tree Palace, dating from 1900, is an old stately home built for one of the most important landholding families in Idanha, at a site that would then been in the outskirts of the town. Particularly impressive are the old stables to the right and back of the main building, and the garden, which dates from the end of the 1930s. This contains a number of exotic species, such as the palm trees which gave the house its name, and which would have been an absolute novelty in these parts at the time. At the beginning of the 1990s, the Idanha-a-Nova Business School was reconstructed and adapted to its present function. The Town Hall, built at the end of the 1950s in the most traditionalist Estado Novo style, was designed by António Lino, who also designed the monument to Christ The King in Almada, and contributed various works to the Portuguese World Exhibition of 1940 (such as the ornamental lake) in Lisbon and the colonnade at the Sanctuary of Fátima. This building replaced the old Council House in the historic part of Idanha-a-Nova, and along with the Palm Tree Palace, defines the character of the central square in the new part of the town, making an important contribution to the affirmation of the present town centre. Not far away, the Centro Cultural Raiano configures the most impressive landmark of Idanha-a-Nova development in recent years. Like a contemporary castle, it was designed to fight for the promotion of culture and  to overcome boundaries.  

 

 

lugaresforadolugar.png

LUGARES FORA DO LUGAR \PLACES OUT OF PLACE

ESTRASBURGO \FRANÇA \FRANCE

48°34’55.6”N 7°45’03.6”E

 

PT Estrasburgo é simultaneamente a capital e maior cidade da região Grand Est, em França, e a sede do Parlamento Europeu. Localizada junto à fronteira com a Alemanha, é a capital do departamento Bas-Rhin. Estrasburgo é sede de várias instituições europeias, como o Conselho da Europa, que integra o Tribunal Europeu dos Direitos Humanos, a Direcção Europeia da qualidade da Medicina e o Observatório Europeu do Audiovisual, o Eurocorps e o Parlamento Europeu, entre outras. O centro histórico de Estrasburgo, a Grand Île, foi classificado Património da Humanidade pela UNESCO em 1988, a primeira vez que esta distinção foi aplicada a um centro urbano. Imersa na cultura franco-alemã e alvo de disputas violentas ao longo da história, Estrasburgo tem sido uma ponte de unidade secular entre a França e a Alemanha, em particular através da Universidade de Estrasburgo, actualmente a segunda maior em França, e pela coexistência entre as culturas Católica e Protestante. O maior local islâmico de oração, a Grande Mesquita de Estrasburgo, foi inaugurada pelo Ministro do Interior francês Manuel Valls em 27 de Setembro de 2012. Em termos económicos, Estrasburgo é um importante centro de produção e concepção, bem como de circulação rodoviária, ferroviária e fluvial. O seu porto é o segundo maior do Reno, a seguir a Duisburg na Alemanha. Estrasburgo tem um dos maiores e mais antigos mercados de Natal de França, com uma maravilhosa cenografia junto à Catedral, com as suas torres góticas e o famoso relógio astronómico, que só por si justifica uma visita. O mercado de Natal de Estrasburgo apresenta mais de 300 chalets, distribuídos por 12 áreas, atraindo mais de 2 milhões de visitantes nesta quadra. A cada edição, Estrasburgo dedica este mercado a um país diferente, sendo Portugal o país convidado para o presente ano. A aldeia do país convidado fica na praça Gutemberg, onde terão lugar manifestações culturais, a par dos concertos na Catedral e na igreja de St. Pierre-le-Jeune.

EN Strasbourg is the capital and largest city of the Grand Est region of France and is the official seat of the European Parliament. Located close to the border with Germany, it is the capital of the Bas-Rhin département. Strasbourg is the seat of several European institutions, such as the Council of Europe (with its European Court of Human Rights, its European Directorate for the Quality of Medicines and its European Audiovisual Observatory) and the Eurocorps, as well as the European Parliament, among others. Strasbourg’s historic city centre, the Grande Île (Grand Island), was classified a World Heritage site by UNESCO in 1988, the first time such an honour was placed on an entire city centre. Strasbourg is immersed in the Franco-German culture and although violently disputed throughout history, has been a bridge of unity between France and Germany for centuries, especially through the University of Strasbourg, currently the second largest in France, and the coexistence of Catholic and Protestant culture. The largest Islamic place of worship in France, the Strasbourg Grand Mosque, was inaugurated by French Interior Minister Manuel Valls on 27 September 2012. Economically, Strasbourg is an important centre of manufacturing and engineering, as well as a hub of road, rail, and river transportation. The port of Strasbourg is the second largest on the Rhine after Duisburg, Germany. Strasbourg holds one of the oldest and largest Christmas markets in France, with a wonderful setting in front of Strasbourg Cathedral. Strasbourg Cathedral, with its Gothic towers and famous astronomical clock, is worth a visit in itself. Strasbourg Christmas Market has over 300 chalets spread out over 12 locations, and attracts over 2 million visitors during the Christmas season. Every year, Strasburd dedicates this market to a diferente country, this year will host Portugal. The village of the country invited in Place Gutenberg, where cultural performances wil take place along with the concerts in the Cathedral and St. Pierre-le-Jeune Church.